Australia’s number one consumer health website needed a new approach to consumer engagement where direct relationships are created to promote healthy lifestyles and to activate individuals and communities around their personal health management, enabling them to seek, achieve and maintain positive lifestyles.
Our solution transforms the delivery of online health information and behaviour change opportunities for consumers in Victoria.
It is the mission of the Department of Health to ‘achieve the best health and wellbeing for all Victorians’, but currently the Department’s ‘engagement’ with health consumers is often at arms-length, usually through agencies and service providers, and online the Better Health Channel is largely a publisher of health information in a ‘factsheet’ format.
A transformational approach to consumer engagement
The revamped site provides a way for engaging consumers to better motivate and inspire them to make positive health decisions.
The results of the research activities undertaken clearly defined the user and business requirements for the Better Health Channel information architecture and functional specifications based on the following core principles:
- An adaptive information architecture – based on ‘people like me’ web pages and functional components adapted to the needs of the user through customisation and personalisation
- A secure, customisable personal health management platform
- Search engine optimisation is a priority
- Navigation structures are ‘flattened’, similar to how apps work
- Supports the range of discovery behaviours in high use by consumers (ie deep access referral from search engines, browsing from gateway and topic category pages, high use of on-site search, good use of A-Z indexes)
- Specifications for sophisticated risk assessment and goal based tools for consumers to proactively manage their health.
- Retains the valued position of ‘factsheet’ content. The core of Better Health Channel’s current success, factsheets will continue to be easily located and used by consumers and the health workers who work with them.
- Integration of best practice digital technologies and compelling interactive interface designs and development of an innovative catalogue of widgets – functional components – embedded throughout the interface to promote easy access to content such as this subscribe widget.